Shirakawa Tea Farm
SHIRAKAWA TEA FARM: YAKUSHIMA, KAGOSHIMA pref.
(JAS CERTIFIED TEA FARMER)
- Yakushima is an island located in the south of the Kagoshima prefecture.
- Yakushima is famous for its un-touched beautiful nature and has ‘Yaku Cedar’ that are over 1,000 years old. About 21% of its land space is registered as a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Yakushima attracts treckers and hikers from around the world, and is also famous for being the first producer of new tea leaves because of its location. Yakushima has more than 40 mountains that are over a 1000 m above sea level, and the climate is ideal for tea cultivation due to the temperature differences between day and night.
- The rich environment of the island caught the family of Mr. Shirakawa’s (Shirakawa Cha En - Shirakawa Tea Garden) attention, and they started caltivating tea in 1985. Today, the whole process, from caltivation to processing the tea leaves, is done by the family.
- YAKUSHIMA VIEW
Organic tea cultivation by Shirakawa Cha En
- Shirakawa Cha En is proud of being an organic farm, and it meets the ‘JAS Standards’ for organic processed foods as set by the Ministry of Agreculture, Forestry and Fisheries.
- JAS Standards for organic processed foods are regulated annually by the Ministry. Farms are required to submit the last 3 years of farming diaries, visits by the Ministry, soil analysis tests and inspections. It is very hard to meet the criteria set for organic farms.
- Shirakawa Cha En owns 5.5 hectars of tea growing area, and has been passing the standards every year since the first approval in 2001.
- Shirakawa Cha En